May 24, 2009

Yarny

Well, as you can see, I haven't become an avid bloger, yet. However, I'm thinking maybe I'll give it another try.   It's getting on towards the end of May, which means my birthday is almost here.  I'll be 61 this year, which seems an impossibility, since I'm the same person I've always been ... not an "old" person.  My siblings have all gotten older, which is somewhat scary, because I haven't.  And I don't even have a Ring of Power ... I don't think I do, anyway.  Maybe I should check!

I've gotten a spinning wheel!  It's a double treadle Lendrum,  bought used from a woman in Hibbing, Minnesota, of all places.  She had it for about 10 months, but has become a Majacraft dealer, and didn't want  a Lendrum "hanging around the house".  So, I now have it, along with a fast flier, and a plying head, and 8 regular bobbins, and one plying bobbin, all for the price of the basic wheel alone.  Pretty good deal!

Of course this means that spinning has become my primary activity ... as least for now.  I love it.  I've spun a bunch of stuff that wasn't very good on a drop spindle, but I have knitted a beautiful golden scarf from some merino, and am in process of knitting a pair of grey tweedy socks from a merino-silk blend.  Both of those yarns were spun with my trusty Kundert spindle.  

It's such a pleasure for me to see yarn I've spun turn into a useful, and beautiful article.  My mind has already jumped to thinking I'll sell all my stashed yarns (or most of them, anyway)  and knit only (or mostly) with yarn I've spun.  Some people I know spin beautiful yarns, and then put them out someplace to be admired.  This is one way of enjoying your creativity, but I want to take it to the next step of creating something useful with it.  That way, I get to have the spinning, without excluding the knitting.  

Went to the Massachusetts Sheep and Wool Fair yesterday in Cummington, MA, and picked up some roving ... surprise.  Got some Autumn-colors merino-mohair, some grey merino-alpaca blend, and some purple(s) blend.  The Autumn-colors ply beautifully with the brown merino-mohair I got in VA from Kid Hollow a few weeks ago.  And the Purple(s) will ply with the grey.  The things I can do with color and spinning are endless.  Am just loving it!  

No comments: